May 2, 2020 General Election
The next General Election will be on Saturday, May 2, 2020, at the City of Luling Civic Center, located at 333 E. Austin Street, Luling, Texas.
The first day to file an Application for Place on Ballot, for Mayor-at-Large, Council Member-Ward 4 and Council Member-Ward 5 will be January 15, 2020; the last day to file an Application for Place on Ballot will be February 14, 2020.
The last day to file as a write-in candidate will be February 18, 2020.
Filing requirements are per state statue, available
at https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/candidate/guide/local.shtml and those of the City of Luling along with qualifications are found in our Charter, Article III
Election Order for City of Luling General Election on May 4, 2019 Click Here
Click Here for a calendar of the general election 2019.
The regular City election shall be held annually on a uniform election day in May as authorized by State Law, at which time officers will be elected to fill those offices which become vacant that year.
Persons can obtain an application for place on the municipal ballot from:
City of Luling City Hall
509 E. Crockett St.
Luling, Texas 78648
Office hours are Monday though Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, or you may obtain the forms from the Texas Secretary of State website and submit the application to the City Secretary’s Office.
Election Code Sec. 141.001(a)
- Be a United States Citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election
- Have not been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the disabilities
- Have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory as applicable, for 6 months immediately preceding the deadline for filing an application for a place on the ballot
- Candidate must satisfy any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for this office
- Shall be a resident citizen
- Qualified voter of the State of Texas
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age
- Shall have been a resident citizen of the City of Luling and reside within his/her district for a period of not less than twelve (12) months immediately prior to election day
A qualified voter is defined as a registered voter who meets all other requirements for voting. A registration becomes effective on the 30th day after the day the application is submitted to the registrar or on the date the applicant becomes 18 years old, whichever is later (Sec. 13.143).
Election Code Sec. 11.001 and 11.002. A person meets the age requirement for voting on the day before his/her 18th birthday (Sec. 1.016)
- 18 years of age or older on the day of the election
- Citizens of the United States
- Not disqualified as mentally incompetent
- Not disqualified as a convicted felon
- Resident of the state on the day of the election
- A registered voter on the day of the election
Eligibility to Vote
(Election Code Sec. 11.001)
- Be a qualified voter as defined above
- Be a resident of the territory covered by the election for the office on which the person desires to vote
- Satisfy all other requirements for voting prescribed by law for particular election
Texas voters must show a valid photo ID to vote in elections in Texas.
Click Here to find out more information about the Voter I.D. Law.