New Service, Disconnects & Transfers

The City of Luling Public Utilities requires that all Application for Services be filled out in person at City Hall. To establish new service, the applicant must be 18 years of age or older and have two forms of identification, one being a valid photo I.D. If the property is being rented, a lease agreement must be brought and submitted with the application for services. If the applicant is taking ownership of a property, the deed must be submitted with the application for services.Copies may be made at the utility office.  

Applying for Service  

The person listed on the deed or the lease agreement will be the only person allowed to submit an Application for Services. Any fraudulent application may result in the immediate disconnection of service. A request for service via telephone will not be processed. We do our best to accommodate our customers on requested service dates, however the city is allowed 48 hours to process the request. 

Click Here for an Application for Service form

To provide the best service to our customers, we ask that all requests for connects for same day service be in at City Hall by 4 p.m. Any applications taken after 4 p.m. will be processed the next business day. We do all of the connects and disconnects between the hours of 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. and request that someone be at the location if water service is being connected.

It is unlawful for any person, company, or entity to make a private connection for any reason. Any person, company, or entity that does so, shall be denied future utility service by the city and shall be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

If a property has been vacant for more than 6 months, the electric meter loop will need to be inspected an approved for connection. If the connection is denied, the applicant will be contacted and the electricity will not be connected until inspection is approved.


The City of Luling requires deposits to be made on each of its utility account. The deposit stays on the account until the account has an excellent payment history for a duration of 12 billing periods,  which will then allow the deposit to be applied to the account balance. If the excellent credit history is never established, the deposit will remain active until the account is disconnected. The deposit will automatically be applied to the final bill. 

The city accepts "Letters of Credit" from customers based on their previous history with either a water or electric utility with no more than two late payments in the previous 12 months. Letters of Credit will be accepted either by e-mail or fax at 830-875-2038. We do not accept Letters of Credit on commercial accounts.Commercial deposits may be larger, please contact the utility office for more information. The city does not accept co-signers in lieu of deposits.

Utility Deposit Rates

Metered Services Residential Commercial
Electric $200.00 Based on the last 12 months of 
Water $100.00 previous occupant at a location.

Temporary Connection

Temporary Connection of services allows owners of a property to connect for the purpose of rental cleanup or inspections for sale. A deposit may be required based on the property owner's credit history. A connection fee of $25.00 will be required for all temporary connections. All metered services will have a minimum charge and non-metered services will be prorated based on the amount of time the account is active. Temporary services can be active for a maximum of 20 days. Click here to view the monthly minimum charges on metered services.

Click Here for an Application for Service form


There are three ways to request a disconnection of utility services. While we will accept any of these options, we recommend a request to be made in person at City Hall. 

-In Person

Disconnection of services can be made in person at City Hall. Public Utilities will require a signature to validate the disconnection of services request.

-By Email

In some cases, customers are not able to be present to disconnect services. If such problem exists, Public Utilities asks that an email be sent from the account holder's name to one of the Utility Clerks to make the request. Please list the following information:

  • Physical Address
  • Date of Disconnection 
  • Forwarding Address-to send the final bill or refund on deposit

-By Telephone

In some cases, customers are not able to be present to disconnect services. If such problem exists, Public Utilities will verify personal information over the phone to validate the request for disconnection. This is the least recommended method of requesting a disconnection of services since no evidence is recorded of the request. 


Transfer of services must be requested in person at City Hall. A new service application must be filled out for the new address. A transfer fee of $25.00 will be required and can be paid up front or added to the first month's bill at the new location. The current utility account balance must be paid before services will be activated at the new location. Depending on your credit history and the amount of your current active deposit, Public Utilities may require an increase of the deposit before the account will be transferred. The City allows both locations to be active for up to two weeks to allow time for moving.